I finally got around to taking pictures of our new kitchen island. My brother-in-law has a coworker that does woodworking on the side, so we asked him to make us a butcher block counter and new island. Isn't it pretty?
I painted the island a light grey-taupe color. I didn't want the island to compete with the black-walnut counter. I used Benjamin Moore paint and I was very impressed with it. I am a convert to Benjamin Moore!
I had him distress the counter. He said it was very painful to make little knicks in the wood. He did it just a little bit and told me if I wanted it more distressed, I'd have to do it.
I put about 6 coats of waterlox on the butcher block to protect it from water. It darkened the wood and gave it a slight sheen. I have had no water damage to the wood, and my kids are pretty messy and splash water everywhere. The waterlox is doing its job!
I chose an Egyptian marble stone sink. It is a cream color and goes perfectly with the island and butcher block. I am in love with this sink! It is so beautiful. The pictures don't do it justice. It has a chiseled apron front and the inside is smooth.
These two cabinets pull out and the garbage can and recycling bin are in there.
My plan is to get some stools so the kids can eat at the island.









No comments:
Post a Comment