I started with using TSP and cleaning the heck out of the cupboards. I seriously had to chisel yogurt and dried oatmeal off of them. My cupboards had never looked so clean. I really like that stuff! I started with the two hutches and island. My inspiration came from Paula Deen's kitchen on tv. I love her kitchen. She has some hutches that are green and then her main cabinets are an antiqued cream. I did two coats of the green, which I really liked. Then came the antiquing. First off, I mixed my glaze too dark, but I didn't know. You don't know what you don't know. It came out really streaky. And I didn't like it at all. So I started over. I diluted the glaze but it was still a little dark. It still turned out a little streaky, but I didn't want to start over again. I like them now even though they are a little streaky.
I kept the base color the same on my main cabinets, which saved me a lot of work. I just touched them up with the base color, let them dry, and then started antiquing. I had the same streaking problem with these, even though I lightened up the glaze. I redid these three times. After the second time, Mike came and looked at them and said, "it looks like the kids threw mud on the cabinets and you wiped it off." And that's when I started the third time. To fix my muddy looking cabinets, I took the base color and really toned them done. I then put yet another glaze over top, but this time, it was very light. I like how they turned out. Finally!
I bought some oil-rubbed bronze bin pulls, knobs, and latches. They were a pain to put on because I had to drill new holes. I did almost all of them myself. Mike and his dad helped with the last of the bin pulls. I'm so glad it's done! I'd say I spent around $400 for paint, hinges, knobs, pulls, and latches. If I were to give anyone advice it would be to start with a really light glaze. You can always darken it or add more, but it's really hard to lighten it if you've gotten it too dark. Also, start with a small table and get the hang of it first before you dive into an entire kitchen! :)
THE BEFORES:
This is when the previous owners still lived here. Wow! It was so clean. It's amazing what three little kids can do to a place!
This lady was obsessed with gold. There were gold hinges, gold on the knobs, and gold accent paint on all of the cabinets. I'm not a huge gold person. You should have seen the downstairs of the house! Those pictures are yet to come!
I still need to get a new faucet and kitchen sink. I would also like to do something with my kitchen counters. I would like them darker, and now the paint doesn't go with the rest of the kitchen. I would also like to change the tile backsplash. Mike said I opened up a can of worms! And perhaps I did!

3 comments:
i think they look great!!!!
Looks Amazing. I am so jealous of your space!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow, amazing Jess! How in the world did you find the time to do all that? You're an inspiration! (Although Pat probably wouldn't think so, he'd say you're a bad influence! :))
Post a Comment