Monday, June 11, 2012

Dentist Craziness

 We took the kids to the dentist for the first time today. They were pretty excited to go! I thought it was going to be a quick in and out. I was praying for no cavities! It is a cute little office. The kids got a kick out of the birds in the waiting room.

They don't allow parents to go back to the exam room with the kids. The dental hygienist called their names and they went with her with no hesitation. They did extremely well during the exams. Ethan didn't have any cavities. They put a sealant on his back four molars because the grooves are so deep. He hit his front tooth a few months ago and it was grey in color. The xrays showed that his tooth was abscessed. I felt awful. He never complained about his tooth and the dentist said that kids don't feel the pain from an abscess like adults do. The tooth needed to be pulled!

Mia's exam went well. The dentist laughed because all three had discolored teeth in the same exact tooth. Hers didn't abscess (apparently, the majority don't.) There were a few "watch areas" where cavities may form. 

Riley's exam was similar to Ethan's. Her discolored tooth was abscessed and needed to be pulled. She also had "watch areas" that may form cavities. Hers were in between the teeth, so they would need to do silver crowns if hers develop into cavities (what?!? seriously?!?)

They asked if I wanted the teeth pulled today because they had time to do it. I said go for it. I felt so bad and completely caught off guard. Never in a million years did I think my honeys were going to be missing teeth by the end of the morning!



 The tooth extraction took only 30 minutes. They gave them laughing gas beforehand to relax them. I sat in a little room that was close to the exam rooms. I listened to various kids screaming for the next 45 minutes. Luckily, none of mine were screaming. They had no issues with the teeth coming out. None of them cried during the exams or extractions.

Ethan came out first and was perfectly fine until he saw me. He burst into tears. I was heart broken. He doesn't cry much so when he does, I know he's really sad. He kept telling me, "I want my tooth back." I almost started crying. Riley came out next and she was also fine until she saw me. Her bottom lip came out and she had tears in her eyes. Mia saw both of them crying so she started crying too.

As we were leaving the office, we saw a picture of the dentist. Ethan looked at it and said, "that guy cut my tooth out." I couldn't help but laugh. When we got in the car, he said, "he's naughty." He cried all the way home. It was so sad! He wasn't crying because he was in pain, he wanted his damn tooth back! ;)
 Ethan was sad for a good hour after we got home. He asked me if I would go and buy him a tooth. Riley took it better than Ethan. Once we were home, she was fine.


 They're going to be toothless for the next 2-3 years. It's going to take me awhile to get used to it. Our family pictures are going to be even more goofy. I didn't think that was possible!


Mia was perfectly happy when she was done! When we got home, Mike asked her, "how do you feel being the only one to have all your teeth?" Leave it up to him to crack jokes about it! I really hope this doesn't traumatize them. What a crappy first trip to the dentist!

No comments: