Growing up, we spent almost every weekend at my grandma's house. Aunt Susie and Uncle Al lived close to my grandma, so we were always at their house. These are some of my fondest childhood memories. I loved going to Susie and Al's house. They were always so much fun to be around. Susie laughed all the time and was always so kind and patient with us. Al had a twinkle in his eyes, especially when he smiled. He liked to tease us and had a contagious laugh.
Susie always let us watch, "Dirty Dancing" and "Stand by Me." My mom didn't want us watching "Dirty Dancing" so we would wait until my mom would leave the room and then ask Susie. She always said yes. They used to have a sheep farm and I remember watching a lamb be born. I remember being pretty grossed out. They had these huge white dogs that herded and protected the sheep. We couldn't pet these dogs because they needed to think they were part of the flock. (I remember thinking this was the strangest thing I had ever heard.) They had a hot tub and we would sit in it in the dead of winter.
My cousin, Jimmy, had a nintendo and would let us play it all the time. Missy took us out for ice cream and paid for it with her own money. I was fascinated with Nellie because she seemed to have a different hairstyle every time we would come over. Tracy always seemed so cool to me and was/still is an awesome story teller.
We spent so many holidays together. We hunted Easter eggs together, watched each other open Christmas presents, and celebrated each others birthdays. We played so many games together. (Do you remember red-light, green light?) That was one of my favorites. There are so many cherished memories.
I will miss my Aunt Susie and Uncle Al. We didn't get to spend as much time with them as we got older, but I will always remember their kindness and will cherish the memories we had with them. Remember to be thankful for your loved ones and hug them and tell them you love them often. We aren't promised tomorrow, so let us never forget to love and be thankful for today...

No comments:
Post a Comment