We decided to switch day cares. Mia and Riley did all right in the big daycare center (I wouldn't say they loved it), but Ethan was a different story. I could tell a difference in his behavior right from the start. He was more aggressive and just plain naughty. I put him in time-out constantly.
His teacher, Allison, even sent me an email about him misbehaving in preschool. Allison said he was putting together a 25 piece puzzle and she told him it was time to put it away. He wasn't quite finished so he got mad and threw it. She said puzzle pieces went everywhere. Allison made him sit back down and put the puzzle back together. She said he's never done it again. :) (I absolutely love his teacher!) She said he quit participating in circle time and singing songs, which he's never done. He also started using the word poopy in preschool and said it constantly.
I wanted to pull them out the first month (after I received her email.) Mike convinced me to leave them there for a few more weeks to see how he did. Ethan seemed to get a little better but still wasn't loving it.
A school-aged kid started picking on him and started calling him all sorts of nasty names (fucker and told him he was going to kick his ass.) I told the daycare teacher, but Ethan didn't know his name, so it wasn't much help.
Ethan sobbed and threw himself to the ground when I'd leave in the mornings. I really think he was scared to be there. His teacher said he'd sob for an hour after I'd leave. I knew it was more than separation anxiety because Ethan isn't a crier.
I told Mike that I was putting our two week notice in. I didn't have anyone lined up to watch the kids, but I didn't care at that point.
I found an ad advertising an in-home daycare. I was kind of nervous because I didn't know her, but we went and met her a couple of weeks ago. I knew immediately that the kids would like it there. Mia and Riley made themselves right at home playing with the toys. Ethan was more reserved and held my hand the entire time we were there.
There were some tears shed the first couple of days (by Ethan and Riley) but that didn't last long. In fact, the first day, Mia told me that she liked Traci's house and that it was fun. Ethan piped in, "yeah, I like Traci's house." The kids really like going there. Traci is really laid back about things. It's kind of like dropping the kids off at your sister's house.
She only has 6 kids so it's pretty small. She watches a couple of babies, so the girls are in heaven. There's a 5 year old little boy that Ethan gets to play with.
Ethan is so much happier. His teacher emailed me yesterday and said she notices a difference in his behavior since starting with Traci. It's so nice knowing my kids like going there and they're well taken care of. It makes going to work so much easier!
1 comment:
Oh the daycare dilemma. So nice when you finally find someone you can trust.
Post a Comment