Thursday, December 30, 2010

Sick Kids

All three kids have a cold right now, but Riley has it the worst. She has been having temps off and on for a couple of days and has been extremely clingy. She was wheezing really bad when she woke up yesterday morning. I took her to the doctor where they did a breathing treatment and an x-ray. The x-ray showed that she has pneumonia. The cold settled right in her lungs. No wonder why she was feeling so crummy. She now has to take an antibiotic (amoxicillin), oral steroids, and albuterol breathing treatments. She HATES all three. She has to take the antibiotic for 10 days, the steroid for 5 days, and the breathing treatments are every 4 hours. It's going to be a long 10 days! I even had the amoxicillin flavored, and she still spits it out. She takes tylenol and ibuprofen just fine, so I figured I wouldn't have any problems getting her to take the medications. I've mixed it with pop (she took a sip and then wouldn't take anymore) and with yogurt (she took one bite and refused to eat it.) I'm going to mix it with some chocolate milk tonight. She took a 3 hour nap yesterday and seems to be feeling a little better today. She has just enough energy to be crabby and throw fits. I think I liked her better when she was lethargic. Haha

2 comments:

Kristi said...

That stinks!!! Tilt her head way back and Plug her nose and blow like crazy in her face..it makes them swallow..I know its cruel punishment..I had to do it but that was the ONLY way I could get Avery to take any of her meds when she got her tonsils out....Them breathing treatments arent fun either..ha we've had our share of them too...Good Luck!!

seas78 said...

I have the same trouble with Max. They do make chewable axomicilan.. Then maybe she'll think it's candy. (I know it is horrible to tell them medicine is candy, but you get desperate when you have a sick baby!)Max will do the chewable, but liquid is a nightmare..